The Earth

The Earth
The Earth where we live in.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Science: Current Event # 4

Ivan

6B

Science

24/10/11

Title of Article: Brain Scans Support Findings That IQ Can Rise or Fall Significantly During Adolescence

Author(s) of this Article: The above story is reprinted from materials provided by Wellcome Trust.

Source of the Article: Science Daily: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111020024329.htm

Date this article was written: October 20th, 2011

Summary of the Article:

Researchers at Wellcome Trust have found out that over your period of being an adolescent your IQ can both fall and rise significantly. These theories were proven right by both IQ tests and brain scans at the beginning of your adolescence and at the end of your adolescence. Your IQ is your intelligence quotient; IQ tests are used to predict educational achievement and also employment prospects later in life; to see what your chance is of getting a well-paying job. At the Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging at UCL (Universal College London) and the Centre for Educational Neuroscience, tests proved that our IQ is not constant. "We found a considerable amount of change in how our subjects performed on the IQ tests in 2008 compared to four years earlier," explains Sue Ramsden, first author of this study.

This discovery is great for the society because now adolescents would try harder on tests, so their IQ would not fall down and they would get better educational achievement and possibly a better, well-paying job in the future. I chose this article because I am interested how our brain works and what it does; how it helps us. I found this article on www.sciencedaily.com; this is a website where I always go to find material for my current events. I know Science Daily is a got place to get articles for my current events because it is all about science, many people use it and I learn from my previous experiences. From this article I learned that even if you are a “brainy” person your IQ may fall down during your adolescent years. When I read this article, I felt sad because that means that my IQ may go down. :(

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting that your IQ can go up or down so fast. But I'm mostly interested in ways your IQ go up and tell me when you find fun way to bust your IQ level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'll try my hardest to keep that IQ up! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to keep your brains active boys! The most important thing is to keep elderly brains active! My mom tells me that her memory has improved after her stroke since she started playing her strategy games again on her computer and using her Kindle. :) Cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete